ADVENTURE BY BIKE®
One of the best things about any tradeshow is showing new products. Big brands spend tons of money to promote and entice dealers and media into their booths. Small brands don't have the money needed for a full on marketing push and often depend on good old fashioned product design with unique function, features, appearance and price. To that end, one our big hits this year is the new Woodchipper drop bar.
The Woodchipper is our new short reach, shallow drop, dirt capable, drop bar, or SRSDDCDB. OK, no acronyms. Look closely and you will see this is a very unique and capable bar. Check out some of the features.
- Two widths - 42 and 46 (measured center to center at the brake lever)
- Two clamp sizes - 25.4 and 31.8
- Two price points
- Extra long cuttable drop section
- Flared drops for comfort and wrist clearance
- Short Reach = 80mm
- Drop = Well, depends on where you put your hands. In the middle of the super long drop -portion it is about 100mm and less near the drop where your hands should be while off roading.
- More vertical levers - We put an extra bend in the bar to give a more vertical position for the brake lever. The levers aren't canted in and give you lots of room on the bars.
- Comfort - In our opinion, there are more usable positions on this bar than other off road drop bars
This is my personal bar set up that I have been riding for many months. I've grown so accustomed to it that I find myself not wanting to ride my other drop bars or flat bars on my other mtn bikes. My set up angles the levers in just a bit to be in line with the flared drops. This still gives me plenty of room for my custom Epic Designs bar bag. It also gives it a really nice feel and my hands fall right into place on either the tops or the drops. Sweet.
Here is one last shot taken on my Umpqua River Trail trip. This set up was super sweet in handling the 80+ miles of terrain of the Umpqua River Trail. I used all the positions on the bar and the Woodchipper was the perfect companion to my super capable and versatile Salsa Fargo. This combo ate up the terrain.
So....Here are the final details.
The bars are in production now and should be in stock in late November/early December. We'll do a full on set up post with recommendations for angles, levers, etc when they arrive for sale.
Here are the final details for both consumers and dealers.
Moto Ace Woodchipper w/25.4 bar clamp
42cm - HB8110
46cm - HB8112
6000 series alloy
345 grams for the 42
MSRP = $40
Woodchipper w/31.8 bar clamp
42cm - HB8106
46cm - HB8108
7000 series alloy
325 grams for the 42
MSRP = $66
For dealers, you can put these on item watch now at qbp.com. Oh....And if you are looking for them on qbp.com, look under Road Drop Bars because qbp.com doesn't have a place for Mtn Drop Bars....Yet!
This post filed under topics: Fargo
Share this post: Tweet
Growing up as a Minnesota farm boy, I developed an appreciation and love for land and open space. This appreciation has fostered two passions, cycling and photography. Both of these passions provide freedom, encourage me to explore and foster creativity. More importantly though, my journey with a bike and a camera reminds me that the world is big and I am small.