It’s not everyday that you get to reintroduce two very important bike models to your line up.We’ve been patiently riding, testing and riding.The time has finally come to share our new Ala Carte and El Mariachi.
Some might ask what is the big deal? It’s a steel hardtail. We’d answer, “Exactly, it is a steel hardtail!” Steel hardtails founded mountain biking. They do it all and take you just about anywhere. They do it time and time again. They are the true workhorses of any bike collection. For most of us here at Salsa, if you asked us what mountain bike would we keep in our collection if we could only have one, most of us would say the Ala Carte or El Mariachi.
When we set out to redesign and update both of these models, we had a couple of goals in mind. First, we wanted to improve the versatility, functionality and make them both singlespeed compatible. Second, we wanted to improve the strength and durability of each frame, both inside and out. Today, we are just going to highlight two of the key design elements. Over the next week or two we will be posting a little more detail about each of these things. Let’s take a closer look.
Alternator dropout – Our new dropout system. Here are the key features.
- Geared or singlespeed
- Quick and easy chain tension adjustments
- 17mm adjustment range
- Adjustable dropout serves as a replaceable derailleur hanger
- All threads are in the adjustable and replaceable dropout so if you strip something out no harm is done to the expensive part of your frame
Kung Fu tubing – Designed in house by kung fu master Peter Koski
- New proprietary triple-butted Japanese Sanko seamless steel tubing
- Design based on our 20+ year experience with working with steel tubing
- Custom butting profiles put material where it should be resulting in a doubling of fatigue life compared to a standard butted tube
- Frame only - $599 MSRP
- Painted to match CroMoto forks available for both Ala Carte & El Mariachi available for $110
- Late June availability
- Durable powder coated finish
- New woodcut graphics by our very own Andy Wood
We hope you are too and can’t wait to see just where these bikes take you.
Like this article? Share it with your friends.Tweet